Norman Support Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Change email password to stop outbound auto-spam?
09-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Change email password to stop outbound auto-spam?
I understand that when it appears that something (perhaps a trojan or some other kind of malware on my computer) is sending out emails with my email address as the sender, these emails may or may not actually be coming from my computer. I suppose analysis of the headers of the offending emails may show whether they actually came from my computer - but that will take me a little work. In the meantime, some have suggested that I change my email password. But it seems to be the case that once I enter my new password the first time I try to get mail with that new password - my email client (Thunderbird 7.0) remembers the new password even when I DO NOT check the "Save Password with Password Manager" box.

So, if the virus/trojan/malware is actually sending emails from my email client, doesn't my email client already know what the password is? If so, then how would changing the password do any good to stop the auto-spam from being sent out with my name on it???

And . . . what kinds of evil programs are they that send out emails with my name as the sender???? I have seen several that bounced due to obsolete addresses and some due to the recipient's spam filter - - They all direct the addressee to click on one of several addresses that all resolve to some feaux-cnbc site promoting some kind of get-rich-quick scheme with the headline and article as follows:

<SPAM removed by MOD>

So, is anybody else suffering from this problem? Do we know what trojan or other kind of malware it is??????? How do I get it to stop pestering my friends. I get more emails every day complainging about it.

Thanks for your help..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Re: Change email password to stop outbound auto-spam?
First if this is comming from your machine, you need to remove the malware before you change the password
also the from address on spam mail is usually faked so it may just look as it is comming from you..
so if you turn off your machine or disconnect from net for a day or two and spam is still sendt with your from address then the from address is faked or they have access to your mail account

so do a scan with Norman first

then do a quick scan with this: Malwarebytes
Download here: http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebyt...i_malware/
be sure that the program is updated before you start the scan..
click the REMOVE SELECTED button to quarantine anything found
you may post the scan log here

How do Spammers get my Email Address?
http://www.newcreations.net/webmaster/spam.html

Someone's sending from my email address! How do I stop them?!
http://ask-leo.com/someones_sending_from..._them.html

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
(Homer Simpson)
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 04:33 PM by Dalgo.)
RE: Change email password to stop outbound auto-spam?
Just an additional point:

If you use an online e-mail service like gmail or hotmail then you can have problems as the account is still available to use by the spammer, even when the machine is switched off (they don't need your local mail client but just the credentials stored on it).

The quickest way to stop this is to change the password from another, "clean", computer.

This should stop the SPAM while you are cleaning the infected machine.

If you run your own mail-server then switch it off. Cleaning an infection takes less time than trying to get yourself off lots of black-lists.

-Dalgo